Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Love-Hate relationship with canning



Some time around the end of August or beginning of November I heard much talk of canning and thought, "Why am I not canning?" I got the canning bug and proceeded to search out things to can. Then it all grew exponentially. I ended up canning more than I ever have before. This year I did:

  • peaches

  • peach pit jelly

  • apricots

  • pears

  • pear sauce

  • pear peel jelly

  • pear peel and peach pit jelly

  • sweet zuchini relish (anyone want some? I have WAY too much)

  • tomatoes

  • tomato soup

  • peach pear salsa (twice)

  • turkey

  • turkey broth

  • chicken

  • applesauce

...with some help from Chaz. (yes! Chaz!)

I am running low on canned beans (black and great northern) so maybe I'll get the gumption to do those sometime. Also, next year I plan on buying lots of carrots from my friends, the Donaldson's, and canning those as well.

Despite loving the feeling of accomplishment and how easy it is to pull a jar off the shelf and dump it in a pot, I must say...

I. am. SO. done. with. canning.

2 comments:

  1. Lol sounds like a lot of hard work. I didn't do any canning. Im a slacker. lol. But good for you! and BTW I love the DOF on that picture. awesome.

    ReplyDelete